Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gadgets and Gadgets Galore! What's up with all of the Texting?!


Texting is a way for people to send quick messages to one another. But is it really communication? What happened to picking up the phone or meeting your spouse at a lovely coffee shop to talk and connect? It is a fact, that communication is one of the top factors to having a successful relationship with anyone. In turn, I believe texting may have diminished the quality of having a deep conversation with friends, family, and spouses.

From my own personal experience, I was in a relationship with this guy. One evening, we had an intense altercation which resulted in him not wanting to speak to me. I assumed that we both needed to blow off some steam, and maybe in a few hours or the next day we could talk to one another as mature adults. As a week passed, I wanted to be sure that I was still his favorite girl, but I didn’t want to assume the absolute worse. So after calling numerous times and not receiving a response, I sent a sincere text that stated "I don’t want to think the absolute worse yet so I hope that everything is okay with you and your well being. However, I’m also being realistic so in saying that out of respect for the both of us please have enough decency to inform me on what’s going on between us. Thanks." In response, I received a text that boldly stated, "There is no us."

I was furious. One, who the hell breaks up with someone via a text? Second, If I would not have asked would I have been told? Third, is this some kind of trend with texting? What is off limits with texting? What can you say over a text? Should one text very important issues such as health, pregnancy, secrets, or calling it quits?

This leads me to believe that some people text because they are not bold enough to face the problem. It’s easier to run away from it. You don’t have to look someone in the eyes and put your feelings out there. Their reasoning may be because of fear of being rejected or criticized. But shouldn’t there be boundaries. Certainly, texting a breakup to me completely crosses the line of disrespect.


However, I can also argue the case that not all people use texting as a scapegoat. Some actually use it because it’s a quick way to communicate, and it’s just not enough time in the day to have long conversations (that can sometimes be dull due to interruptions or long pauses). Also, texting allows you to multi-task.

Have you or anyone you know been a victim of receiving a "There is no us" or "Engagement’s off" text? Do you text people bad news because its easier for you to get it off your chest without face-to-face contact? Do you feel that texting needs to have rules? Are you absolutely against texting?



5 comments:

  1. WOW...i think the "there is no us" through a text was not called. Also if someone wants to end any relationshipt that should at least call the other person and tell them. I would be a little ok if they texted "there is no us" and then called you back in like 15min or so to talk about it. They might of wanted you to calm down after you got the text in order to talk to you.But over all texting does need to have rules I thought certain things would be common sense....but then again Sense isn't common. and yesss i voted today also, thanks for the text reminder lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ay ay, I can't believe he replied after a week to say "there is no us." I'm a type of person that likes to say things like that face to face and my only other option would be to speak to them over the phone, not a text message. What a punk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "DAMN GINA!"
    I totally see that situation happening. Simply, because I have been a apart of it several times. And working in the professional world as well as the play world---1 of my biggest pet peeves is coming across emails with "text language". People have been so consumed with communicating via text, that you loose all sense of written language.

    But people who choose to have serious conversations via text message, in my opinion, are practicing straight AVOIDANCE. Because remember, there was life prior to cellular phones. Circa 1994!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @ Miss Logan's Ay Ay...and Kinna's Damn Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowww this has to be one of the best blogs i have ever read lol and the comments are also funny. I feel we are all gulty of texting and who's to say what is or isn't appropriate through a text message?. Texting is another form of comunnicating so i personaly don't see what the big deal is. I had this girlfriend that caused damage to my car door during an argument by slaming it because she was upset and 2 days later i recieved a text from her apologizing for it saying she would pay for any damages she caused. Now would this be classafied as acceptable for this situation? Also we all know the famous relationship starter question " do you like me circle yes or no". this was always written on paper and sent to someone else so my question is if we could start a relationship through writing why can't we end one through writing lol. You guys are great i might start my own blogs after this one.

    ReplyDelete